Day I met Suerte

Suerte's Amazing Rescue Story

Since the age of 17 I have been traveling to the Amazon in Iquitos Peru. I travel there to bring medical care to the indigenous people of the Amazon. In the summer of 2007 I returned to the Amazon once again. Before going into the jungle for 2 weeks we usually spend a few days preparing for the trip in the city of Iquitos. As with any day in Iquitos, I see many stray animals on the streets doing what they can to survive. However, this day while walking back to my hotel, I noticed a dog lying on the sidewalk. I approached the animal, fearing it was dead and starting talking to him. The dog instantly got up, wagged its tail and responded to my gentle voice. I noticed this small dog was missing most of his hair, had warts covering his body, was severely malnourished and had a brutal eye and nose infection. I proceeded to walk away, assured he was alive and he started to follow. It was immediately apparent I had a new friend. He followed me for a few blocks and I instantly felt responsible. I went to the grocery store and got him some food, water and treats and we sat by the waterfront and he enjoyed every bite. I named him “Suerte”, which means luck. I hung out with him for a few hours and he went his separate way. I saw him later that night and he followed me back to my hotel and slept outside waiting for me all night. We were going into the jungle a few days later and I wanted to find a safe place for him while we were gone for a couple weeks. I luckily found a place called Amazon CARES. They have a great kennel outside of the city that he was able to stay in. I left some money with this organization for them to take care of him for a couple weeks until I got back. When we returned I saw Suerte again and left more money. I had to return to Seattle, and could not bring him back due to his poor condition. For the next year I would send money to Amazon CARES and would get updates on his progress. In October of 2008 my friend was traveling back to Iquitos. The vet in Iquitos, Esther Peña, arranged everything and was truly amazing. She got the health certificate ready for him, wrote a list of his medications and treatments for the past year and got everything ready by November 17, 2008. My friend was able to bring him back with her, and after 1 year 4 months and a 23 hour plane ride, my baby Suerte was finally home. He has been so awesome and am so glad he is safe, happy, has a full tummy, toys and love. I still can’t believe that I have him up here with me. There was an instant connection with this dog and can’t imagine him still down there fighting for his life every day.

This story is inappropriate and should be flagged for moderation. Please choose from one of the following options:

You have indicated this comment should be removed.


The comment has been submitted for review. Thank you .

graciebra says ... on Wednesday, Jul 29 at 1:03 PM

God bless you!!!

k.k says ... on Monday, Jul 27 at 9:38 PM

Im so glad there are people like you out there. we need more people like you in this world. Im glad that he turned out to be an amazing dog for you. the best of luck with him.

Add a comment


Comment: 250 Characters Left

KIMA News and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.