Pasco man burned in chemical explosion

Pasco man burned in chemical explosion

PASCO, Wash. -- An explosion Thursday morning in Pasco left an employee with third degree burns.

KFLD-AM reports the fire broke out just before 1 a.m. at Oxarc on South Oregon Ave. The worker received burns to his arms, chest and stomach.

The Pasco Fire Department said an employee working overnight was emptying bottles of acetylene on a pallet when one caught fire and exploded. It's unclear what sparked the explosion.

Officials said the injured man and his co-workers were waiting for emergency crews outside the building when they arrived. One of the bottles burned out without setting anything else on fire.

They said the injured man was sent to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for treatment.

The Oxarc building contains safety, fire prevention and industrial supplies and has a welding supplies department.