Kids playing with lighter cause a Yakima duplex to catch fire

The City of Yakima Fire Department responded to a reported fire in a duplex in the area of 15th Ave and Swan Ave. The alarm time was 22:13 Thursday night.

The Battalion Chief arrived to find smoke coming from the front door.

Four occupants escaped without injury from the fire.

A rapid attack was made on the fire and just when it looked like the fire was under control, the attic ignited. Firefighters used a technique called a "Steam out" to counter the attic fire. Battalion Chief Mitch Cole said, "The steam out worked perfectly. It saved us a lot of time by keeping the fire from spreading in the attic."

The occupants had family to provide shelter and other necessities and so Red Cross was not activated.


Cause:
Children playing with a lighter is listed as the cause of the fire.

Damage:
One half of the duplex was severely damaged from the fire. The fire started in a bedroom and quickly spread to the attic. Smoke and heat damage occurred throughout the home.

Loss: 50,000
Number of Firefighters to Respond: 17

Departments Responded in a Mutual Aid Capacity:
None