House fire on South 9th street

House fire on South 9th street
YAKIMA FIRE DEPARTMENT NEW RELEASE - At 7:33 pm Wednesday Yakima Firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire in the 900 block of S 9th Avenue.

First arriving crews found light smoke coming from the eves and vents of a single story residence. An alert neighbor noticed the smoke and notified the occupants, three adults, who then called 9-1-1.

Using thermal imaging technology firefighters were able to locate the seat of the fire over the kitchen area. They then made access through the kitchen ceiling encountering sawdust insulation and electrical wiring which appeared to be the cause of the fire.

They were able to quickly extinguish the remaining embers and removed the sawdust insulation which filled the attic.
There were no injuries. The occupants will be relocated until repairs can be made.

The cause appears to be related to the “knob and Tube” wiring which was used in the attic. This is an older style of wiring which is not used any longer.
The American Red Cross assisted in their temporary relocation. Pacific Power & Light shut down the electrical service to prevent further problems until an electrical contractor could make repairs.

The residence did not appear to have any working smoke detectors.

There was significant damage to the structural framing in the attic and the ceiling of the kitchen which was removed. An access point was made in the roof to facilitate entry and removal of the burning sawdust.