Investigators: Electrical problem starts house fire in Yakima

Investigators: Electrical problem starts house fire in Yakima »Play Video
YAKIMA FIRE DEPARTMENT NEWS RELEASE -- At approximately 1020 PM, the Yakima Fire Department responded to a structure fire on the 1400 blk of South 8th Ave.

When crews first arrived, they found smoke pushing out of the eaves of the house. This indicated there was an active fire in the attic. The residents, two adults and their four children, had been alerted by the smoke detector and had exited the building.

The fire crews had to cut holes in the roof and ends of the house in order to access the burning material in the attic. This proved to be less damage than pulling the ceiling from the inside and putting burning material in the house and causing damage to the homeowner's personal belongings.

The attic proved to be a challenge, as it had many hidden spaces and the fire appeared to have been creeping around for a while before it was detected. Additional off duty crews were called to assist in finishing the process of removing all burning debris.

The six occupants were being assisted by the Yakima Chapter of The American Red Cross.

Although the fire was extinguished in the first 30 minutes, crews remained on scene for approximately 3 hours, ensuring the fire was completely out.

Captain Norton stated, "Thankfully the homeowners had working smoke detectors that notified them of the fire. If they had gone to sleep and had no detectors to alert them, the situation could have been much worse."

The Yakima Fire Department wants to remind you, Working Smoke Detectors Save Lives.

The probable cause of the fire was due to an electrical problem. Damage was confined to the attic and very little damage was found on the interior of the structure. The roof of the structure had to be cut open in order to access the burning material in the attic.