Cooking fires are main cause of house fires in Yakima

Cooking fires are main cause of house fires in Yakima
YAKIMA, Wash. -- Cooking fires are the main reason structure fires start in Yakima. Firefighters held a live fire extinguisher demonstration Sunday.

Last year, one-third of house fires were a result of cooking. Firefighters recommend people use lids and don't wear loose clothing. The Yakima Fire Department is looking to set up free classes to teach people how to use fire extinguishers. They said knowing how to use one is important.

"You can get the fire in an early stage if it's safe,” said Yakima Fire Captain Tom Schneider. They are fundamental and we want to emphasize people buying and having at least two in your house."

The second highest cause of house fires in Yakima is heating-related.