YAKIMA, Wash. -- The Yakima Regional Clean Air Agency has issued a stage 1 burn ban for both the Upper and Lower Yakima Valley.
Officials said they called for the ban because of poor ventilation and dispersion. Conditions may improve Wednesday morning.
During a Stage 1 Burn Ban:
1. All Outdoor Burning, including Agricultural burning, is prohibited;
2. The use of any fireplace, uncertified wood stove or uncertified fireplace insert is prohibited unless it is the only adequate means of heating a home;
3. Certified wood stove, certified fireplace insert or pellet stove/insert use is allowed;
4. No excessive smoke (over 20% opacity) is allowed from any wood burning device beyond a 20-minute start-up; and
5. All violations of the burn ban are subject to civil penalty.