House fire leaves family of 11 displaced

House fire leaves family of 11 displaced
YAKIMA, Wash. -- Eleven people are out of their home after a fire in Yakima Tuesday night. The Yakima Fire Department says the fire broke out just before 8pm in the 600 block of North 2nd Street.

When firefighters arrived a bedroom was fully engulfed in flames extending into the attic. Two adults and nine children were living in the home. Three of children are the biological kids of the couple, six others are foster children who were not home at the time.

It took firefighters about 40 minutes to knock out the fire. Firefighters say the fire was caused by an extension cord attached to an air conditioning unit mounted in a bedroom window. Everyone escaped and damage is estimated at 50-thousand dollars.

To help the family, click here.